Established in 1979, the Paul Robeson Galleries’ mission and programming embody Paul Robeson’s life-long commitment to unfettered artistic freedom, cultural democracy, and transnationalism.
The Paul Robeson Galleries is dedicated to presenting art and cultural artifacts as well as educational and public programming in the spirit of the diverse metropolitan context of Rutgers University – Newark. This mission is carried out in the presentation of visual arts exhibitions, gallery education, and public programs, in a network of exhibition spaces across the Rutgers University – Newark campus and Express Newark. The Paul Robeson Galleries works collaboratively with individuals and organizations to achieve this mission.
The Gallery’s programs strive to:
- Present arts and visual culture exhibitions and events of the highest quality, and with an emphasis on supporting contemporary visual culture.
- Advance Paul Robeson’s legacy of encouraging cross-cultural artistic freedom and cultural democracy.
- Enrich the University arts programs with cross-disciplinary collaborations.
- Provide gallery educational experience to regional communities.
- Strengthen collaborative relationships with Greater Newark’s artistic, cultural, and educational organizations.
- Emphasize the role of arts and culture in the shaping and functioning of society.